Guest Post from ComboApp
Tis’ the season to be jolly… AND, tis’ the season to get bright and shiny new tech toys to play with. Regardless of which holiday you’re celebrating, it is a marketing FACT that in the period between Black Friday (the day after Thanksgiving) through to mid-January mobile users will begin to explore those shiny, new tech toys they received as gifts. Subsequently, app download numbers will EXPLODE, with new users coming out of the woodwork every-which-way!
It’s an exciting time for any app developer… and, marketing-wise, it is the most important time of year to engage with your current users and court new users into your app’s loyal family.
We here at ComboApp would like to give you a gift of knowledge this holiday season. We realize that user acquisition and marketing are as much acquired skills (pun intended!) as coding and development are… So we offer our expertise to you in the form of our top-10 tips for engaging mobile app users during this peak holiday season.
1. Plan your holiday promo campaign and get the insertion orders for your apps well in advance. Otherwise you might find that media owners do not have space in their busy holiday schedules for your advertisements.
2. Set your goals and the budget according to the holiday rush time. During this time, volumes of downloads are higher, as are effective costs to acquire loyal users. You might want to assess your goals to find a good balance between performance and volume that fits your budget. Keep in mind, app download rates stay high through January, even as the cost for user acquisition falls.
3. Use the busy holiday download time as an opportunity to introduce a new product or service update and attain maximum coverage with your audience base.
4. Plan for increased product support and server volume during the holiday busy time. User behavior demonstrates these changes during holiday times which may impact these departments:
More sessions per user
4X increase in users per app
Shorter sessions lengths, but more sessions, overall
5. Calculate and plan your budget for first few months post-holiday rush so you can take advantage of the price decreases which happen that start just after the new year
6. Configure your app store optimization strategy so that your keywords are relevant to the context of what consumers search for during the holidays
7. Stay fresh and relevant: Prepare and roll out new content, update your creatives with festive holiday themed images
8. Re-engage with your current audience by creating entertaining holiday themed contests, promotions and giveaways. Use this time wisely to engage your non-active audience and convert them into new, loyal users
9. Tease your customers with “sneak-peeks” at the features in your pipeline for 2014. This will cement their interest in the further development of your product/service
10. The holidays are the time of year when families get together and share warm feelings, use the opportunity to communicate effectively with family units with friendly, holiday-oriented messaging.
The ComboApp Team